For it is in giving that we receive.
An inspiring quote from St. Francis indeed (this in addition to this love of and work with animals), and here at River Myst Haven, we seek to discover ways that we can make positive change in the world (or at least, our small portion of it).
We are fortunate and grateful to be living and working at River Myst Haven (or visiting!), and are committed to finding ways to give back to the community. It doesn't take much effort, in partnership with friends, family, community organizations, and business, to make a positive impact on various causes in the area. Our contributions may be modest relative to how much need there is, but it is remarkably humbling when connecting with people or animals whose lives are improved or made easier through our efforts.
“I have always thought of this season, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of other people as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.”
Helping those in need has become a meaningful way of celebrating the holidays for us, so, again in lieu of purchasing many gifts, we made donations to the following organizations. During times of celebration, in the spirit of building community during the holiday season, we hope that you will consider supporting the organization or cause of your choosing. They count on your help.
- Forget Me Not Farm : A haven for children and animals to bond and break the cycle of abuse
- Voz que Clama Mission : A non-profit organization in Costa Rica that helps the Indigenous people who live in the Chirripo Mountains.
- American Legion Post #111 : Provides aid and assistance to Sonoma County area veterans and their families.
- Forgotten Felines of Sonoma County : A non-profit organization dedicated to the care and control of feral cats.
- The Bishop’s Ranch : An Episcopal retreat and conference center located in the heart of Sonoma County’s Russian River Valley.
- National Wildlife Federation : Protects and restores wildlife habitat, confronts global warming and connects with nature.
- Redwood Empire Food Bank : Provides food and nutrition assistance to those in need in Sonoma County.
- Healdsburg Education Foundation : Raises funds to sustain vital programs in Healdsburg public schools.
- H-Town Youth Theater : A place for young actors to share their imaginations.
- Windsor High School : The training offered to Vineyard Academy students at Windsor High School can be used as a stepping-stone for further education in the hospitality industries, to help secure entry-level positions, or as preparation for further academic pursuits.
- Face to Face : Face to Face, Sonoma County AIDS Network seeks to improve the lives of people affected by HIV, and reduce the number of new infections.
- Sonoma Humane Society : Working to ensure that every animal receives protection, compassion, love and care.
- Santa Rosa Symphony : Inspires and engages the residents of our region with the finest classical music performances and educational programs.
- Child’s Play : A game industry charity dedicated to improving the lives of children with toys and games in over 70 hospitals worldwide.